Monday, April 30, 2007

Eating Snails

I ate snails tonight. It sounds better if I say escargot, I guess, but in the end its the same thing anyway. They were surprisingly good, and surpisingly not very disgusting to eat. At least if you don't think about them when they were alive. They are prepared in a butter and garlic sauce, so thats pretty much what they taste like. If you chew them for awhile there is a definite "earthy" taste as well. You also get a special snail shell holder and tiny fork to pry them out with. The snails that they serve are pretty big. The shells are about the same size as a golf ball and the meat inside is like a big wad of garlicy gum but not that chewy. I had to ask the waiter how to use the special snail tools which was pretty funny. But if I didn't ask, I would have looked stupider trying to figure it out for myself. Earlier in the evening, I was feeling pretty grumpy about the prospect of wandering around to find a restaurant, or ordering room service again so after my meal of escargot, wine, cafe americano and a chocolate mousse all was well again. As you all know I'm usually not that adventurous of an eater so I'm glad everything tasted so good.

The other night I went out to dinner with a girl I work with, her friends that were visiting from Brazil and a couple of her family memebers to a creperie. I've had crepes before, but only the dessert kind, so I tried the dinner version for the first time. They are thicker, and mine had chicken, mushrooms (like I said, French people love mushrooms) and fromage (cheese) in it. It was a lot to eat, but I couldn't pass up a crepe for dessert too. Everything tasted really delicious, but all of that food upset my stomach pretty horribly. I would eat it again though. Hehehe. Maybe just not as much.


Mmmmmm. Crepes.


The street the creperie was on.

1 comment:

MorsaJones said...

food stories are good too!


i congratulate you on your escargot. nice work, sis.