Saturday, April 28, 2007

Flying Butts.

I got up this morning with the intention of heading straight to the Louvre, but it was such a nice day that I decided to walk around for a bit. I walked around out of my immediate neighborhood, and ended up in another that I liked much better. It helped that there were a few stores of the same kind that you would find in the Lower East Side of New York. (Cool shoes, T-shirts, graffiti books and whatnot.) It was kind of funny to see the French version. Anyway, I wandered around and discovered this giant sculpture outside a really old cathedral, that when I have time I'll look up the name. It wasn't a really famous one I don't think, but I really like old churches of all kinds. They are pretty amazing places. Anyway.

The people from the neighborhood, and a few tourists like me were all sitting around on the steps enjoying the sun.

There were also these kids. The one doing the trick was pretty good. It always cracks me up that when you see kids skating, there is always at least one of them taking a picture. It was also a perfect place to practice, even though it was on the church grounds kind of. No one seemed to mind, and looking closely at the concrete, you could tell that the spot had been used a lot.

The church was pretty big, and I didn't really get a good picture of the whole thing. I like this pic though. You can see the flying buttresses and a pigeon on its way to the top. I studied all this architechture in Mrs. Murphy's class, so it's neat to see in person. It's also hard to imagine that these places ever got built. Everything is really intricate, especially considering the level of technology at the time. I also looked in the basement window, but the picture didn't turn out. It was full of what all church basements are full of - lots of folding chairs, which made me giggle.

I have 4 more pictures to post, but it doesn't seem to be working, and it's late so I think I'll put these up now, and finish the rest tomorrow!

3 comments:

Peppermint Patti said...

wow...cool sculpture...looks like a big headache..hehe

MorsaJones said...

haha.. flying butts.

i'm enjoying your updates a lot, i wish i was there. :)

~Bungalow Bill~ said...

me too