Thursday, April 26, 2007

Some Happenings

So, today I ate some cheese that tasted like a moldy basement. I believe that it was goat cheese, and that isn't something that I ever need to eat again. I can't imagine putting that in my mouth and thinking "This is really good!" I have however, begun to get over my texture issues with mushrooms, since pretty much everything I have eaten so far has had some type of mushroom in it. So if nothing else, I can eat those now, even if I can't stomach the moldy basement cheese. The cheese came from a Camper party at the store. We have been having a "Press Event" for the fall collection, and for the new line of Camper Kids shoes. At the end of the event, there was a small party for the employees, which was nice. Luckily, there is a girl in the store who speaks very good english, as well as many other languages who has been translating for me. But it is pretty strange to be at a party where everyone is speaking another language. I figure that if I listen enough, eventually I'll be able to pick up on French. It's also funny that every time I met someone, it had to be explained that I don't speak French, and am training to work in the NY store. Although I can't say it in French, I understand when it is being said about me.
At lunch I went to the post office today, and discovered that French post offices are pretty much the same as the American ones, but a little nicer. When I walked in, there was a guy yelling at the top of his lungs in what seemed to me to be frustration. Which I've seen at the post office in Brooklyn a lot. I have no idea what he was mad about, it went on for about 5 minutes. Everyone was pretty much ignoring him. When I got to the counter, I gave the clerk what has become my trademark phrase "Je suis américain." and so that part was easy. The hard part was figuring out where to put my mail, and which box was the correct one. There was no drop box inside the post office, only on the outside, so I did have to ask a French business man where exactly I should drop my envelope. He laughed at me, but at least I figured it out.
I walked to the Louvre before work (I didn't go in obviously) but the grounds around it are beautiful. Lots of grass, trees and gardens. All very well manicured. Lots of tourists too so I blended in. I'll leave you with a picture of the view from the table where I had a sandwich at lunch.


1 comment:

MorsaJones said...

yes a cheese story!!

now that, Big Sis, makes me happy.

thanks.

keep it up.


wchooooooooooo-pssssssh! (you should find out how to say THAT in french.)